I would like to do some freelance business writing for local companies or ad/pr agencies but don’t know how to begin marketing my services. I’d also like to break into freelance magazine or newspaper writing. Any help in how to break into these markets would be appreciated.
The best routes to take are to research the process of starting a business as well as the industry you’re interested in.
Associations may be a good avenue to explore as well. These organizations will address many of the thoughts, questions and concerns you’ll inevitably have as well as many you haven’t anticipated yet. See the source box for some relevant links.
Research, research, research – this cannot be stressed enough. Read as much as you can about the industry. Here are some book titles that are relevant:
* Start and Run a Profitable Freelance Writing Business: Your Step- By-Step Business Plan (Self-Counsel Business Series) by Christine A. Adamec
* How to Become a Fulltime Freelance Writer: A Practical Guide to Setting Up a Successful Writing Business at Home (Road Map to Your Writing Career) by Michael A. Banks
* The Well-Fed Writer: Financial Self-Sufficiency As a Freelance Writer in Six Months or Less by Peter Bowerman
* The Freelance Success Book: Insider Secrets for Selling Every Word You Write (Write It, Sell It) by David Taylor
* Make a Real Living as a Freelance Writer: How to Win Top Writing Assignments by Jenna Glatzer
I also posted links to some free articles in the source box.
Hope that helps! I wish you much success & happiness in all your ventures!